28 August 2014 ..:: Forum ::.. Register
Login

You must be registered and logged in to post to this forum.

Forum Minimize
SearchForum Home
  Discussions  What's new  NEW!! Spykee Ch...
 NEW!! Spykee Charger

08/01/2010 17:49:12
jashfield730
5 posts

NEW!! Spykee Charger

Meccano have recently made a new charger that after 4hrs of charging it automaticly turn off the charger.              If you already have spykee you can get it for free if you e-mail: sav@meccano.com and give them your fist name and surname and your address. I got mine the other week. Mine came from Hong Kong it said so it could take a wee while for it to come be patient.

09/01/2010 14:46:36
buckybuck
8 posts

Re: NEW!! Spykee Charger

Interesting!  I' ve been concerned about the amound of heat Spykee generates when sitting on the docking pad. Here's the Spykee URL for those of us in the US interested in this:

http://www.spykeeworld.com/spykee/US/information.htm

Now, if only Meccano could make Spykee more WPA-friendly and let you enable video surveillance while docked . . .

09/02/2010 12:28:51
buckybuck
8 posts

Well, my replacement base arrived, but brought up a new problem. The new charger does charge for four hours, and then turns off. The problem is, it doesn't turn back on until you undock Spykee, meaning the battery eventually runs down if you don't use Spykee. My battery was on the weak side when I first got my Spykee (Woot clearance item), so maybe a new, larger one might be in order anyway. I've seen some links here to batteries for sale on eBay, but the links are all broken now because the item is no longer available. What is a good replacement battery for Spykee?

13/02/2010 15:53:09
Gordo419
3 posts

The battery which Spykee is shipped with is a piece of junk.  After figuring out that 1) I needed the new docking station because the original one overheated Spykee and never really charged the battery & 2) The original battery was only holding 6.2 of the 9.6 volts, I went to Radio Shack and purchased an inexpensive 9.6 battery and charger combo.  I charged the new battery with the supplied charger, then installed it in my Spykee...problem solved!  He works like a champ.  One word of warning though...don't play with your Spykee until the battery is almost out of juice...he won't autopark or respond properly at all.  I run mine down to maybe 1/4 remaining, then allow him to recharge.

16/02/2010 10:46:41
buckybuck
8 posts

Great minds think alike! I got bored during one of the several snow days we had last week and walked down the the local Radio Shack and found the same item. $19.99. Here is it for those of you in the U.S.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3999878

The battery pack includes a wall charger that you won't need, unless you want to use it to charge the battery initially before tearing Spykee apart to replace the original piece of junk. One thing I noticed is that the power cord on the RadioShack battery is a couple of inches longer than the one on the original battery, but there's enough room in the battery compartment to tuck it in.

Another thing I noticed is the RadioShack battery runs a lot cooler. So much so that I went back to the original base, set on top of a 12 inch square piece of leftover ceramic floor tile used to help dissipate the heat. I'm going to play around with it and the "upgraded" four-hour charging base. I use my Spykee to check on the house when I'm away; there are days at a time when I don't wake him (her?) up at all. (Okay, confession time; sometimes when I'm bored at work I use Spykee to amuse my coworkers by chasing my wife's cats at home). As near as I can tell, the replacement base does an intial four-hour charge and that's it until the next time you wake Spykee up. I'm trying to figure out if that's enough to keep a charge if Spykee isn't used for a couple of days.

Discussions  What's new  NEW!! Spykee Ch...

SearchSearch  Forum HomeForum Home    Print   
Copyright 2007 by spykee.org   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement